Friday, February 06, 2009

Naming our baby [Bryan]

Ellie and I have had a difficult time naming our new baby (due date Feb. 9). Nothing seems to match right. We've played around with many names: Stephen Ray Warnick, Geoffry Bryan Warnick, and so forth. We are not entirely happy with what we've thought of.

My dad recently gave us a good idea, though. Some of you might know that I recently received a grant from the Spencer Foundation. It is a small, but prestigious award, and it may very well help me get tenure someday. We were very happy to receive a Spencer grant.

Now, every month Dad puts out a family newsletter and asks us by email what news we want to contribute. On my list of news items from our side of the family, I put down simply "Spencer Grant" remembering that Dad and I had talked earlier about the award. I was proud of it, and I wanted the family to know the exciting news. Apparently, though, Dad forgot about our earlier conversation, got confused about what I meant, and wrote in the newsletter that we had apparently decided to name our baby........Spencer Grant.

It has a nice ring to it actually.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

I like Spencer Grant Warnick and the initials SGW aren't anything strange either. Seems to me that the name just came by accidently but why don't you wait till the baby comes to make the choice?

xunil2 said...

Absolutely a cool name for a Mormon boy.

chappo said...

Almost as good as Bryan Ray!!!

Anonymous said...

I love it. 'nough said.

Cassavaugh Family said...

I'm still a fan of your Geoffry choice but you must admit that Spencer Grant sounds very "prophet"ish.

miche said...

How about Bryan Hayden Warnick and call him Hayden? I don't know - I just think those names sound nice together. Spencer Grant isn't bad either and he'd have a great story to tell!

Greg & Heike said...

Great choice although I might be biased!