Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Two Monumental Films -- And One You Can Skip [Bryan]

Ellie and I have been trying to catch up on watching all the critically acclaimed movies that we have intended to see, but haven't gotten around to yet. Here are our short reviews. (Note that Ellie's reviews are my reconstruction of her reaction, not her own words. She can clarify later if she wants.)

Mystic River:
Ellie = Boo!
Bryan = Meh.

The Social Network:
Ellie = Very good!
Bryan = Very good!

The King's Speech:
Ellie = Very, very good
Bryan = Unbelievably, stupendously good.

The last two movies, though, do present something of a dilemma for me. Making movies about historical events always leads to the misrepresentation of facts for dramatic effect. This was true for Frost/Nixon, one of our favorite historical films, and it also seems to be true of The Social Network and The King's Speech. Sometimes, I wish those historical nit-pickers would just let me enjoy my ignorance once in awhile. Or, alternatively, I wish Hollywood would be more careful about the facts. Either option is fine with me.

1 comment:

Merkley Jiating said...

We have been wanting to see The Social Network for so long! But we put Netflix on hold for a month. It's at the top of our queue when we start Netflix again!