Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Something you won't hear everyday... [Bryan]

My federal taxes are too low.

I just finished my taxes (really late for me, actually, because of the basement). Now, we are probably not rich compared to other U.S. citizens, but we make a comfortable income. Our total federal tax bill came to about $500. For all the benefits that come from the federal government -- health insurance for grandma and grandpa, arts funding, PBS Kids, cancer research, Pell Grants, roads and infrastructure, the Center for Disease Control, Head Start, and so forth -- this seems like a ridiculously small amount. I benefit greatly from all of this, both directly and indirectly. I am willing to pay more.

1 comment:

sarah stitzlein said...

I read an interesting article this week about millionaires and upper middle class folks in New Jersey who were furious that many budget cuts had been made to their schools, including cutting teacher jobs, without first raising taxes----which, like you, they were willing to pay for important public services.

Back in 2006 I attended an education debate between Rod Paige and Tom Daschle in a highly conservative area of Ohio. At one point, Paige was getting frustrated with the demands for educational improvement that Daschle put forward. Paige turned to the audience and said "How many of you would be willing to raise your taxes to pay for all of that?" He was shocked when nearly every person in the packed theater raised their hand.

My tax bill was big this year at $4900, but I, too, am willing to pay more.