Sunday, February 13, 2011

Thoughts on North Africa [Bryan]

It has been fascinating to watch the developments in North Africa this past month. I'm not sure how I should feel about any of it, considering my knowledge of Tunisia is basically nil, and my little knowledge of modern Egypt stops around the Carter administration. Who knows how it will all turn out (not like Iran, I hope). Still, it is hard not to be moved by the spectacle of courageous people working for real freedom. I think Will Wilkinson at the Economist sums up my feelings:
I admit that I am more than a little tempted to rain on the parade and note that Mr Mubarak's departure guarantees nothing and that it is not unreasonable to fear a turn for the worse. There's a tiny, stability-loving Burke on my shoulder, and I'm afraid he's no devil. All the same, for now I'm not listening. Well, I did listen a little, but I've heard enough. It is partly due to my Burkean worries that I feel the pessimist in me should just stuff it for now. Whether or not Egypt flowers into a model democracy, whether or not Egyptians tomorrow live more freely than Egyptians today, today they threw off a tyrant. The surge of overwhelming bliss that has overtaken Egyptians is the rare beautitude of democratic will. The hot blush of liberation, a dazzled sense of infinite possibility swelling millions of happy breasts is a precious thing of terrible, unfathomable beauty, and it won't come to these people again. Whatever the future may hold, this is the happiest many people will ever feel. This is the best day of some peoples' lives. The tiny Dionysian anarchist on my other shoulder is no angel, but I cannot deny that there is something holy in this feeling, that it is one of few human experiences that justifies life—that satisfies, however briefly, our desperate craving for more intensity, for more meaning, for more life from life. Whatever the future holds, there will be disappointment, at best. But there is always disappointment. Today, there is joy.
Others see this as a diplomatic masterpiece of the Obama administration:

At times I've been fairly critical of this president's handling of foreign policy, but credit must be given -- this Administration handled this situation about as deftly as possible. This was truly an American diplomatic tour de force.

From the beginning the White House was caught betwixt and between -- not wanting to be seen supporting the status quo, particularly when the winds of change seemed to be blowing in the direction of reform and yet at the same time not be seen as throwing a key ally under the bus.

And while obviously critics can point to individual mistakes ... on the whole this Administration did a really excellent job -- sending public signs that a crackdown would not be acceptable, working the military behind closed doors, trying to ensure a soft landing that wouldn't lead to violence, but still never backing down from the public position that an immediate transition to democracy (and not one in September) was the only acceptable course....

In a sense we helped throw Mubarak under the bus without directly delivering the push.

4 comments:

Monica said...

I was with you until the article that tried to give the Obama administration some credit for the overthrow. Obama had nothing to do with it. He happened to be president while it happened, that's it. He wasn't involved in any push, or bus, or anything. This wouldn't have happened without the Egyptians, and to try and give anyone else even partial credit takes away from THEIR victory.

Kyle

Bryan and Ellie said...

Well, actually, he was involved, and it does not detract from the Egyptians to simply recognize that he played it well. At least that's how I see it.

Monica said...

You are right Bryan, he was involved. It just seems to me that the plays he made, any one else would have. Urguing both sides to refrain from violence and being cautious to support an overthrow until the time was right, etc... Sure, Obama played his cards right, but he was dealt a royal flush.

Kyle

Bryan and Ellie said...

You must have been watching a different situation than I was. As I remember what was happening, it wasn't obvious at the time what to do. People were calling on Obama to do all sorts of different things: be more involved, be less involved, etc. Not a royal flush at all.