Monday, February 07, 2011

Giving exams [Bryan]

As I write this, my students are taking their midterm exam. It is fascinating to watch them as they are tested. You can see in their faces their trials and agonies, their epiphanies and ecstasies. You can see their thought processes, their minds churning. You can see when they remember the answer. Or when they give up. Some enter with confidence, and you can watch as their bravado disappears confronting the unexpected reality of the test. Others enter awash in apprehension, but work steadily and surely, with grim determination, to completion. As the students turn in their exams, some don't even want to look at you, out of shame, spite, or resentment, while others are beaming with accomplishment. Others, most really, just seem relieved to have it over.

It is strange knowing that you, a mere teacher, have dictated how these students have passed their last few days of study and toil. You have determined the level of their stress, you have tried their hopes, multiplied their sorrows. Such a work and a wonder.

2 comments:

Merkley Jiating said...

I didn't know that the professors noticed all of that stuff. I was the person looking at the ground and running out. No confidence from me. Usually with good reason.

Monica said...

I've always wondered if professors revel in student's agony and stress...now I know! :)

Kyle