Friday, February 04, 2011

The Real Story [Ellie]

Eighteen months ago, my sister Anna and her husband Spencer and daughter Grace moved here to Columbus so Spencer could attend OSU. A lot of people have asked me longingly, when they find out I have a sister in town, what it's like. This expose--the real story of what it's like to have a sister living 10 minutes away--is long overdue.

Here's what it's like:
*It's having a running buddy/cheerleader/personal trainer all in one.
*It's being able to call someone because you're bored or lonely or frustrated and have them come over just to give you a hug.
*It's having someone to share dinner with when your husband works late.
*It's having family to visit with on Sunday nights, Thanksgiving, Christmas, baptisms, blessings, and birthdays for the first time in 10 years.
*It's learning, on a daily basis, what it's like to be someone else--someone like you, yet not.
*It's having someone around who loves your kids almost as much as you do and is more willing to play with them than you are.
*It's having a park date any afternoon you want one.
*It's talking every day with someone who's known you your whole life and still likes you.
*It's having someone who will come to your kids' soccer games and cheer.
*It's having someone to go shopping with.
*It's having someone who's willing to listen to every mundane detail of your life with interest and input.
*It's having someone who'll share with you the mundane details of her life.
*It's like having someone around who's always willing to help your husband move heavy objects and wire circuits (Bless you, Spencer!)
*It's having someone who will produce more babies for you to love when you are done producing them yourself.
*It's having someone who will tell you the truth about yourself.
*It's having another family to vacation with.
*It's almost like having a brown-eyed, brown-haired second daughter to love. (Grace, you're adorable!)
*It's having a built-in emergency babysitter.
*It's having someone who is interested in overanalyzing everything about your upbringing with you because they were actually there.
*It's having someone around who forgives you for being a jerk because, hey, you're in this for eternity.
*It's getting to talk on the phone with a toddler, whenever I want.
*It's having someone to confide in about the icky things in life--baby poop messes, bloating, birth control, times I have disappointed myself and others, runny noses, cramps, and vomit.
*It's someone around to share memories with--past, present, and future.

So, the real story is that I LOVE IT. I am so grateful that the Bardsleys made the decision to come to Columbus. My life, and the life of my family, is blessed every day because they are here.

6 comments:

Heather said...

There is nothing like living by a sister. So glad you are blessed with this incredible opportunity.

Noelle said...

Shucks, Heather beat me to it. I loved this post, in fact, it made me cry and miss my sister all over again. Thanks for putting into words so eloquently what I've enjoyed for the last three years.

miche said...

LUCKY!! These are the exact reasons I wish I lived in the same town as one of my sisters.

Spencer and Anna said...

Oh...I hardly know what to say. Right back at ya. :) I don't know how we would have made it through this past year and a half without you. There's no friend quite like a sister. Love you.

Merkley Jiating said...

This is precious. You are so lucky. I want to live by my sister! I am not sure I want it enough to live in Utah... but maybe!

Becky said...

So. Jealous.

(But it couldn't happen to a nicer person than you!!!)