Saturday, June 19, 2010

Tales of a stay-at-home dad [Bryan]

I just finished with three days of being a single, stay-at-home father. Whew! I escaped with my sanity (barely) and a renewed appreciation for Ellie. I also enjoyed spending the time with my kids, particularly talking to them and getting a glimpse of the thoughts that rumble around in their little minds. Take the following instance, when I was stalking a fly with a fly swatter.
Nora: Daddy, don't kill that fly.

Dad: Huh?

Nora: You shouldn't kill any animals unless you have to. You should catch it and let it go.

Dad: It's just a fly.

Nora: It is still something that is alive.

Dad: Why do you think it is wrong to kill things that are alive?

Nora: Because nature is important. It is even more important than television. And ice cream.
Fascinating stuff.

3 comments:

Merkley Jiating said...

Oh, Nora. She is a good fit for your hippie family. :)

It was so nice (sad circumstances though) to see Ellie and we missed the rest of you.

Stephen walking with his hands in the air is adorable. I am excited to see it in person!

Anonymous said...

TV yeah....Ice cream I'm not too sure about...

Merkley Jiating said...

Thanks for calling Sam tonight, Ellie. It made him very happy.