Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Salt Lake City reborn [Bryan]

When I was a student at the University of Utah, I had an art professor who always talked about a great urban tragedy. The tragedy was the Salt Lake City had taken most of its beautiful mountain streams and channeled them into pipes underground. He had this idea of letting the rivers flow more freely through the valley. It would, he argued, create that waterfront ambiance that most great cities have (think Paris, London, Chicago, etc.). I came to agree with him. In that context, I was excited to see that the "City Creek" project, which involves letting that river emerge from underground, is becoming a reality. Salt Lake is becoming one cool city. Check out this tour of new downtown development project:

4 comments:

Donnell Allan said...

I love your blog. I think this is the first time I have ever disagreed with you on anything. But a shopping mall? Really? I think it is just awful.

How about a park park, with trees and grass and the creek running through that?

Bryan and Ellie said...

Hi Donnell!

Well, I suppose you have to compare it to what was there before. City center mall was a dark, dreary place. This is a vast improvement. If it were completely up to me it would have been a park/arts center/concert venue.

Merkley Jiating said...

Oooh, fancy!

Sorry about the overload of pictures on my blog. I can never choose just a few.

kiki comin said...

we were just there this weekend..and it really is spectacular what they are doing!