Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Startin' 'em young [Ellie]

Stephen's turning one next week, and we can hardly believe it. Our families have been asking what to get him, and the only thing we can think of that he consistently likes to play with are books. Board books, novels, printed dissertations. Anything with covers and pages. He likes to chew the covers and turn the pages. All our board book bindings are gnawed. His favorite right now, and what Bryan took with him to entertain Stephen at the grocery store today? A little bright green hardcover copy of Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men.

We like to develop their literary tastes (pun intended) early in this family.

4 comments:

Spencer and Anna said...

I've definitely noticed his affinity for Steinbeck during my visits. Interesting... :)

Heather said...

I thought he was more of a Dostoyevsky man myself . . .

Way to start him young!

Anonymous said...

Give him Grapes of Wrath to chew on. In fact, he can have mine. I didn't like that book.

Becky said...

That's awesome! I have a nice hard bound copy of "A Mother's Influence" by Sister Nadauld that he can "mull over". I've never been able to finish because I feel too imperfect when I read it.