Saturday, January 30, 2010

Taxes are done [Bryan]

I finished our taxes today. I like to get them done, and done relatively early. I was pleasantly surprised at our tax return, which might facilitate some much-needed home improvement projects. Anyone know how to tile a floor?

Anyway, that $800 stimulus tax credit is kinda nice. People keep telling me that the powers-that-be in Washington are licking their lips to raise taxes. I haven't seen it yet. If anything, taxes were way down for us this year.

6 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so jealous. I hope we can get our taxes done soon. I love finishing early. Congrats on the big return! And sorry, we don't know how to tile. Ben Johnson was the tile master.

Spencer and Anna said...

I am duly impressed. And Spencer kind of knows how to tile floors. I'm sure he'd be willing to help, at least. :)

Monica said...

Dare I give you a FOXNews Opinion article to rebut? I dare.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/02/01/ryan-ellis-obama-budget-tax-trillion-spending-debt-deficits/

If your rebuttal does not include it, what do you think of Obama's proposed budget?

Kyle

Monica said...

I guess just a simple "any thoughts on Obama's budget proposal?" would have sufficed...just curious.

Nollie said...

We also are giddy about filing taxes and the accompanying tax return, but I am embarrassed to say I'm not up on the $800 Obama tax credit. Does it apply for everyone? Our return will be going to paying down our student loan debt. Not very exciting now, but the prospect of the extra money that will be available once the loans are wiped out is thrilling.

Bryan and Ellie said...

Nollie,

I'm talking about the Making Work Pay Tax Credit. I'm not quite sure how it works, but I think the amount you will get back at this point depends on how your employer handled it.

You get the full credit if you make under $150,000 for married couples filing jointly. Less after that.

Bryan