Monday, January 18, 2010

Excavation [Ellie]

Subject: The recovery of the missing identity of a Caucasian female of child-bearing age, hair light brown, eyes hazel, height 5’2”, weight unlisted.

On my Christmas list this year were: a food processor, a dressy jacket, a blender, a CD of the opera Carmen, and a storage ottoman that was to act as a more attractive toy box. Mostly mommy gifts. What I opened on Christmas morning from Bryan? A laptop. A tiny, zippy purple one. And with the laptop a gift certificate to Caribou Coffee and four hours of free time to write.

Surprised hardly covers what I felt. I was barely aware of the tears that slipped down my cheeks as I contemplated why on earth he’d bought me something so extravagant—so beyond our typical gift-giving protocols. Because we buy gifts in hope, I knew the laptop reflected how he saw me, or more accurately, how he would like me to be; how I was when we met.

We’ve been talking a lot about who I am or should be or once was lately. With our last child (according to the current plan) turning one next month, my days as a full-time stay-at-home mom are winding down. I never thought it would seem so brief. We’ve been teasing the kids that Mommy is trying (again) to decide what she wants to be when she grows up.

It seems that the question now facing me is, do I return to who I was before children, as if this period of my life were just a blip in a smooth forward trajectory, or do I begin from scratch to create a new Ellie? Not that three decades of memories and baggage make it easy to start from scratch. Do I resume life as a middle-aged middle school teacher? Do I again take up the role of English major? Or is there something other and never-before-considered that will make me truly happy? (Is the search for one-true-job as quixotic a pursuit as seeking one-true-love?) Do I even want to pursue a career, or do I just want a job that will bring in a little extra income to support my real vocation of mother? In the same position I was in at the end of high school, I feel less certain of the answers now than I did then. I think, in general, that feeling less certainty—about everything—is the change these past sixteen years have wrought on my life.

I know that Bryan would like this zippy purple laptop to perform an excavation. He would like it to dig out the overachieving, intense, virginal English major he fell in love with. There are parts of her I too would love to recover. I’d like to recover her vocabulary, for instance. During my parents’ last visit I had to be reminded that adults don’t refer to it as “going potty.” Yet there are many parts of her I am happy to have left behind. I’m happy to say that her door-slamming tantrums and utter self-centeredness are largely a thing of the past. Still, I’m stuck looking back while trying to foretell what will bring me happiness in the future when all I really want to do most days is survive the present.

Would anyone like to tell me what I should do with this purple laptop and the rest of my life ahead of me?

7 comments:

xunil2 said...

Yes, Post some pictures! (of the laptop).

kiki comin said...

be you and keep getting better no matter what you do. i have a pretty good feel of who you are and can't wait to see what you do..you amazing you!:)

wendy said...

You get onto facebook, hulu, and amazon. I didn't think that people actually did any "work" on their computers nowdays. (Of course, I also wasn't aware that adults don't call it "going potty.")

Brittany said...

Well, let me say that my sister has a zippy little red one and I'm totally jealous of it! Good luck on figuring it out and then write a book about it so the rest of us know what to do when it's our turn!

Cassavaugh Family said...

I don't have the cute little zippy purple laptop but my setup is fine. However, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be. Its funny how sometimes circumstances simply define us and turn us into a new version of what we once knew. Just have fun and enjoy every day. How about using that nifty tool to give us a daily review of a children's book!

Becky said...

+1 for Bryan. And Ellie, you rock!
Your post really made me think...

Around Christmas time, I got thinking about the fact that I am 31 going on 40. (Well not exactly, but I think the next 8 years will fly by). I realized that I am not the person I set out to be 8 years ago- that I get so busy managing my many blessings that I have a hard time slowing down enough to enjoy them.
So, I'm trying a little harder to live at least a few minutes of each day as the Becky I had planned to be.
It has felt great to finally decide what I want to be in life- and to carve out a chunk of time to pursue it. You are amazing in so many ways, Ellie- and I think that when you decide what you want pursue over the next few decades of life, you'll carry with the experience and compassion you've gained over the past 16 years. I'm sure that you'll lift others along the way!

miche said...

Ellie, I just have to comment - that is the coolest present ever! Way to go Bryan. (especially the 4 hours to work on it!) As for what to do with it? Heck if I know. I haven't thought of resurrecting that pre-mom person yet. Good food for thought.