Friday, August 22, 2008

Our summer trip [Bryan]

We just returned from a short little summer get away. We headed south, stopped briefly in Cincinnati, continued on to Mammoth Cave National Park, and then on to the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee.

Mammoth Cave was cool, both literally and figuratively. It has to be seen to be believed. We took two tours and only saw a tiny fraction of the cave. The huge dark caverns really stoke the imagination. Nora loved the caves and was interested in the different formations.

The Great Smoky Mountains humbled our western scenic elitism. The Smokies, while lacking the soaring rocky cathedrals, are in their own way just as pretty as anything out West. They are thick with plants and animals (we saw multiple deer, a fox, and a flash of bear). We stayed in Gatlinburg, TN, which is itself a fascinating place. Together with the nearby city of Pigeon Forge, the area is an odd mixture of Jackson Hole, Las Vegas, and Disney Land. I've never seen anything like it. We were lucky enough to find a great Cuban restaurant buried in the layers of stores, shops, and museums.

We also attended an inspiring 2-hour time-share presentation. We listened intently to their wonderful proposal before telling them to stick it and, oh, thanks for the free hotel stay. They assured us that they will have the last laugh.

For the kids the highlights were swimming in the hotel pools and eating more sweets than is normal. Wherever we went, Andrew had to stop and pick up rocks. He seems compulsive in that way.

Here we are on the "Purple People Bridge" in Cincinnati

Standing at the bottom of the famous "Frozen Niagara" formation in Mammoth Cave. (Apparently flash photography is okay.)

The "historic entrance" of Mammoth cave, looking out.

Historic entrance, looking in. You can feel the cool air blowing out of the cave like a giant air conditioning vent from a hundred yards away.

The family, showing off their "red tongues" from eating suckers.

I was able to see Sand Cave, where Floyd Collins died after getting stuck for 16 days. It was one of the first great media spectacles in America and it is a story that has intrigued me since I read about it as a boy.


I walked the entire width of the Appalachian Trail!

Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountains

Sharing a slurpee

Taking a tram ride.

My photographic masterpiece. Lots of interesting historical buildings to explore.

Clingmans Dome lookout. Ellie is standing on the far right. This is the third highest peak east of the Mississippi.

Great Smoky Mountains, Clingman's Dome

Great Smoky Mountains, Newfound Gap

Newfound Gap

The Great Smoky Mountains have the most beautiful rivers I have ever seen. Gentle cascades over rugged rocks surrounded by verdant green.

6 comments:

Renee Collins said...

Great pics, Bryan. Looks like you guys had another awesome trip.

By the way, you remind me of my dad with your enthusiasm for historical sights and buildings. Somehow, no matter where we were on family vacations, Dad always found some old fort or restored house to visit.

It's actually engrained in me now. Whenever Ben and I plan any kind of trip, I always find myself looking for the historical points of interest.

miche said...

Cool trip. Great pics! Glad you aren't afraid of heights or claustrophobic. Those caves and bridges aren't for some of us. I'm glad others enjoy them and take pictures.

Bryan said...

Renee -- I'm happy to be compared with your dad any day.

Michelle -- Glad to be of service.

chappo said...

Bryan, one day you will have to make it to Mount Katahdin at the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. I was there last summer (see my blog of June 2007) and it was as impressive as many of the mountains in Utah. I agree that we often have a Rocky Mountain snobbery. Katahdin was a great hike and an impressive mountain. I'm glad you had a good time. Now just 1972 miles to Katahdin!!!

Anonymous said...

Good to see that you made it to the purple people bridge. I hope you enjoyed your stop in Cincinnati. I also echo the recommendation of your friend to visit my new neck of the woods to see Katahdin. I, too, have been impressed with the surprising beauty of the mountains in northern New England.
Sarah

Anonymous said...

These look like places we'll have to put on our "go there someday" list. Maybe we could even add new states to our lifetime list!