Monday, June 16, 2008

Why Conservatives Should Vote for Obama, Part 1 [Bryan]

I get the sense that many conservatives find Senator Obama a little scary. He has a funny name, his pastor said crazy things, and he may be an America-hater or a secret Muslim (or so they've read in an email).

I'm not conservative myself. But I was once and most of the people I love and care about still are. I think it is true to say that conservatives are interested in three things: (1) they want a person of genuine religious faith to be president, (2) they want a person of moral character to be president, (3) they want someone who agrees with conservative policies to be president.

If you are conservative, I want to introduce you to what other conservatives, who know or have personally met Senator Obama, are saying about him. I'm using conservative voices here, so that you will know this isn't just inflated rhetoric from his natural allies. Let me first address the issue of religious faith.

Consider the endorsement of Douglas W. Kmiec, a conservative Catholic Republican. Kmiec was a former attorney to Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. He is currently chair of constitutional law at conservative Pepperdine University. He was also an adviser to Mitt Romney. Here is what he says:

Today I endorse Barack Obama for president of the United States. I believe him to be a person of integrity, intelligence, and genuine good will. I take him at his word that he wants to move the nation beyond its religious and racial divides and that he wants to return the United States to that company of nations committed to human rights....

In various ways, Sen. Barack Obama and I may disagree on aspects of [some] important fundamentals, but I am convinced, based upon his public pronouncements and his personal writing, that on each of these questions he is not closed to understanding opposing points of view and, as best as it is humanly possible, he will respect and accommodate them.
Consider next what the conservative Evangelical biographer (and supporter) of George W. Bush and Tom DeLay, Stephen Mansfield, has to say about Obama in his forthcoming book, The Faith of Barack Obama. Ben Smith summarizes the book in this way:

"For Obama, faith is not simply political garb, something a focus group told him he ought to try. Instead, religion to him is transforming, lifelong, and real," Mansfield writes, going on to compare Obama favorably to Christian Democratic presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton, who he says erected a "wall of separation" between their religion and their governance.

By contrast, "Obama's faith infuses his public policy, so that his faith is not just limited to the personal realms of his life, it also informs his leadership," Mansfield writes. ...

Mansfield said in the interview that he entered Trinity having heard "that Obama's church was a cult, something un-Christian, that Reverend Wright was a nut," but emerged with the view that it is "a pretty solid Christian church."

His warm description of the church reflects that view.

Consider also this story of conservative Christian writer who was invited to meet Obama:

[I] was curious what the junior Senator from Illinois would say to Christian leaders when it’s well known that he supports abortion and the gay rights agenda....What could he have in common with “conservative” Christian leaders?

I returned from the meeting very concerned. Here is a liberal—Obama--reaching out to the Christian community at a time the conservative--Sen. John McCain--seems to be distancing himself from the so-called “Christian Right.” I think McCain has a lot of work to do to get the support of the Christian community. Obama seemed to have the support of at least half of the 43 leaders who attended the Chicago meeting. And in my opinion, he “made points” with the rest. The tone of the meeting was respectful and generally upbeat....

Sen. Obama personally took time to meet each person and shake their hand. He’s not as large a man as I envisioned from seeing him on television. But, he’s warm and personable --- obviously one of the reasons why people like him. He seemed to remember names well. He hugged a couple of the participants—mostly the black preachers who attended. He also seemed to be on top of the issues; and he’s obviously very intelligent.

The questions were mostly “softball” questions in my opinion. I was concerned after three or four general questions that we wouldn’t ask the most important questions. So I raised my hand and he called on me. I said, “Senator, I want to ask a question I'm sure you are expecting regarding your position on abortion....[H]ow you justify that with your Christian faith and why [do] you think we should vote for you?”

Since his response was “off-the-record,” I can say that the time he took to answer was probably 15 minutes. He came across as thoughtful and much more of a “centrist” than what I would have expected. He did not appear to be the crazy leftist that is being supported by George Soros and his radical leftist friends. Sen. Obama looked me in the eye as he answered my question, almost as if it were a one-on-one interview. I had already read the chapter on “faith” in his book the “Audacity of Hope.” If you want to know how he answered the question, read that chapter. In other words, other than his demeanor and obvious attempt to win over the Christian leaders in the room, he didn’t say anything new....

There’s probably a lot more that I could say about the meeting. But the most significant thing is just the fact that the meeting was held and that several dozen prominent leaders took time to meet with Sen. Obama who I believe won over the loyalties of many.
Senator Obama may, of course, simply be a slick politician and this could all just be a political act. Or, alternatively, he could also be the real deal. If you want to find out what Obama himself thinks about religion, his books (The Audacity of Hopeand Dreams of My Father -- both of which he wrote himself) speak to that subject with a sincerity that, to me, seems to transcend election-year pandering. It was enough to convince me, at least for now. Anyway, just something to think about.

5 comments:

Ben C. said...

Bryan, great post. You provide some great examples of Obama's ability to attract a wide spectrum of support. I agree that conservatives are looking for a person of genuine faith and moral character. I've been impressed with Obama in both of these respects. My hang-up, and probably many conservatives, is your third point...commitment to conservative policies. I would say this element of a candidate significantly outweighs the other two elements. Probably foremost on conservative minds is a candidate committed to conservative economic policies. While, Republicans have not shown much fiscal restraint of late, Obama's populist promises of government benefits, programs, and welfare are anathema to conservative thinking. While Obama has a decent record on global trade issues, his recent condemnation of NAFTA (lets admit it...to appease the unions) is enough to turn conservatives off. Admittedly, conservatives are dissatisfied with Republicans' inability to impose fiscal discipline, but Obama hasn't presented a promising alternative. Bill Clinton was able to accomplish this I believe because of his promises (and success) at restraining spending, paying down the deficit, etc. As far as I know, Obama doesn't make any bones about the fact that his priorities favor expanding government spending and increasing taxes, not the more conservative Bill Clinton approach. Because of this (not to mention Obama's liberal social policies) I don't think Obama will get many conservative converts.
I hope you don't mind me bantering with you a bit. I miss our home teaching visits and have to get it in somehow.

Bryan and Ellie said...

Hi Ben,

Great to hear from you.

It is true that the third point will be a hard sell. But, in an upcoming post, I'm going to try to make the case that at least a certain type of conservative will find many of Obama's policies appealing. I will argue that it is also important to place Obama in the context of running against John McCain, rather than against some ideal conservative.

Take two quick examples:

Executive power -- There are many conservatives who are wary of the wire tapping, torture, denial of habeas, etc., that has characterized Republican executive policy lately. Obama's ideas about transparency in government and enforcing constitutional limitations on presidential power will, I think, appeal to a more libertarian brand of conservative. It is difficult to tell what McCain's position is on these issues since he switches all the time, but at least for now he says he supports the Bush policies. An unbridled and unchecked executive branch is hardly a conservative notion, though.

Balanced budgets--It is true that non-partisan groups who have added up the numbers have found that Obama's budget does not balance. However, they have also found that it is billions closer to balance than the budget proposed by McCain (I will post links to these studies, along with nifty charts, etc.) So, if you are the type of conservative who is worried about balanced budgets, then you should prefer Obama over McCain.

I think there are other examples (like Obama's market friendly cap-and-trade scheme to combat carbon emissions and his wariness of unilaterial foreign entanglements abroad), but that will have to do for now.

Hope all is well in sin city.

Bryan

Renee Collins said...

Nice post.

I have to say, sometimes I am not sure where I fit in the political spectrum. Generally, I am to the left, but there are several social issues where I swing to the right.

Of course, even for the social issues I am not as fiercely conservative as some. I'm usually quite turned off by those types. In fact, I am turned off by anyone who is too firmly entrenched on either side.

That's why I love Obama. He seems genuinely willing to work with both parties. Sometimes I feel that he transends any party, but perhaps that's just my enthusiasm talking.

Anonymous said...

ok, i never read your political blogs cause they are never about Ron Paul :) however i did read the first bit of this. i have no idea what exactly a conservative is but im guess its someone who is a republican? is that right? anywho, i just want to say that if i am a conservative you are wrong on what i want.

(1) they want a person of genuine religious faith to be president. Why should that matter? dont we seperate church and state for a reason?


Of all the animosities which have existed among mankind, those which are caused by a difference of sentiments in religion appear to be the most inveterate and distressing, and ought most to be deprecated.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Sir Edward Newenham, Oct. 20, 1792

(2) they want a person of moral character to be president. this one i do agree with. who doesnt want a moral president? do you want someone who is dishonest as your leader?

Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

I hold the maxim no less applicable to public than to private affairs, that honesty is the best policy.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, Farewell Address to the People of the United States

(3) they want someone who agrees with conservative policies to be president. again, im not sure what conservative policies are, but i want someone who is true to the constitution, whether thats conservative or not.

The American political system is like a gigantic Mexican Christmas fiesta. Each political party is a huge piñata -- a papier-maché donkey, for example. The donkey is filled with full employment, low interest rates, affordable housing, comprehensive medical benefits, a balanced budget and other goodies. The American voter is blindfolded and given a stick. The voter then swings the stick wildly in every direction, trying to hit a political candidate on the head and knock some sense into the silly bastard.

-- P.J. O'Rourke, in Parliament of Whores

ok, im done trying to be smart now.

Bryan and Ellie said...

"ok, i never read your political blogs cause they are never about Ron Paul :) however i did read the first bit of this. i have no idea what exactly a conservative is but im guess its someone who is a republican? is that right? anywho, i just want to say that if i am a conservative you are wrong on what i want."

Knowing you, Amber, I suspect it would be better to say that you are not a conservative, at least as people define themselves these days.

Anyway, I agree that my framework could be more precise. Note that I wasn't saying that these were things ONLY conservative want or that they are necessarily things that they SHOULD want.

Another point: You don't need to paste in the quotes to make your arguments. Make them yourself. If its a good argument, it doesn't matter if George Washington said it or if Amber W. said it. Be bold, sis! (But some of them were funny, I guess).