Monday, September 12, 2011

Drama at Soccer Practice [Ellie]

Nora and Andrew are playing soccer at a new venue this year--a nearby YMCA. The 'Y' is much closer to our house than their last venue, but in a worse part of town.

Tonight at soccer practice I was sitting in my camp chair reading a book as the kids scrimmaged on the field. The sound of a distant helicopter became louder and louder until I looked up to see it seemingly circling the soccer field. This will seem odd to people who've never lived by a freeway, but I'm pretty used to circling helicopters. I went back to reading my book.

Then, a dad beside me exclaimed, "Two police officers just got out of that car!"

I think we all put the scene together in that instant: on the other side of the fence from the soccer field were two men running. The helicopter, bottle-blue and clearly marked "POLICE" was buzzing above them like an overgrown housefly. The officers were running toward them. More officers appeared opposite them and the suspects were surrounded.

The coaches ushered all the children to one side of the soccer field to watch what happened next from a safe distance.

What happened next?

Not much. The two suspects were the sorriest looking lot I've seen--both overweight and wearing sweats. They gave up running pretty much instantly and stayed pliantly still, waiting for the officers to reach them. There was a lot of quiet discussion, a brief cheer (we suspect from the officers. . .?) and off they all went in the police cars. The good guys win again.

I leaned over to ask the dad beside me, "We're new in this league. Does this happen at every practice?"

No, no, he assured me. Usually the helicopters are farther away.

Comforting.

3 comments:

deek3m said...

Ellie, I'm afraid you have your genres mixed up. This post should be called "Action/Adventure at Soccer Practice". :-)

The Teeples said...

Oh Ellie,
I am afraid Brandon and I didn't give you and Bryan a far warning about the h "Y". Although, we have never had the experience you had yesterday, we have had several more where you knew you were in an interesting part of town!

Glad we will experience this adventure together!

Merkley Jiating said...

Derek's comment made me laugh. But in response to the post, yikes.

We are ready for your visit anytime! Let us know! :)