Sunday, September 06, 2009

The perfect mashed potatoes [Bryan]

Over the past 11 years, I have been experimenting with mashed potatoes. Like Ahab pursuing Moby Dick, dogged and determined, relentless, I have been pursuing the best way to prepare them. I have stalked them like a psychotic lover, dreamed of them, yearned for them. I was beginning to doubt myself, to second guess myself, to think that, like Plato's Forms, they were an ideal that could never be actualized in this fallen, material world. Today, though, I think I finally achieved it: the perfect bowl of mashed potatoes!

Here is my recipe:

Bryan's Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes

8 medium size potatoes (6 peeled, 2 with skins still on)
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 big gobs sour cream
1 big gob plain yogurt
1/3 stick of butter
A bit of milk
Sea salt
Fresh ground pepper

1. Cut potatoes and boil until soft. Drain water.

2. Add garlic, cream, sour cream, yogurt, butter. Whip well with mixer. Add milk and mix some more to achieve a fluffy and creamy consistency.

3. Add salt and pepper to taste.

4. Enjoy!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Just may try this tonight, luckily I have the ingredients on hand. I hope I love them as much as you guys do!

Cassavaugh Family said...

Perfect timing! I have a lot of potatoes needing to be made into something tasty. These sound great!

Anonymous said...

Now to perfect the gravy. Remember when you, me, and Ash made Sunday dinner? And the gravy just tasted like flour?

Sharon said...

Yum! That sounds Delish!!

Anna said...

Having been a participant in the consumption of these potatoes, I can vouch for their goodness. They didn't even need gravy. :)

wendy said...

So wait. . . is it a gob or a glob-because I've been using a glob and that might be the problem.

Becky said...

Whoa- Death by mashed potatoes (atherosclerosis!)- but what a way to go!