Friday, August 14, 2009

A very polite home invader [Bryan]

When we returned from our trip to Utah, we confronted a mystery. There were certain things around the house that appeared to be, well, not quite as we left them. While none of our valuables (such as they are) appeared to be missing, there were a few things that were different.

  • Before leaving, I remember turning the thermostat up to 85 degrees, not wanting the house (and our pets) to become super hot while we were away. When we returned, though, we found that the thermostat had been turned back down to 75 degrees and the AC had been turned off.
  • There were towels placed in our bathroom where we would never have left them (that is, they were hanging neatly inside the shower itself).
  • The gate outside had been closed, but we always leave it open.
We were quite perplexed by this and asked everyone we could think of if they, for some reason, had been inside the house. No one said yes, but they did encourage our suspicions. The person we had asked to watch over the house had felt that something was strange and had driven by numerous times to make sure everything was okay. We were, and still are, baffled by all this.

So, we figure there are four possibilities:
  1. Our house is haunted.
  2. We had a very nice home invader who didn't take anything, and who politely closed the gate, turned off the AC, and who hung up the towels neatly.
  3. Someone is playing tricks on us.
  4. We are losing our minds, thinking that we had done things before leaving that we hadn't.
I'm leaning toward #4 now, but I'm more open than I thought I would be to the other possibilities.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

I am leaning towards number 4 after all we are getting old.

PS I didn't touch anything in your house and I will take a lie detector if you don't believe me. I promise that I was in Florida the whole time.

sarah stitzlein said...

Sounds like your house elf needs to be punished.

Cassavaugh Family said...

Occam's Razor: Either you did it and don't remember it or someone who has a key to your house is lying...

Of course if I lived near enough to you, I would do stuff like that just to mess with you.

Becky said...

That's a great trick-wish I could claim it!

Anonymous said...

If it turns out to be a ghost that really likes doing dishes, tell him he can come to my house.

miche said...

That is really creepy. If you watched shows like dateline or 48 hours more, you'd install a nanny cam immediately and run it when you're gone! seriously, sickos come into houses and do stuff like that all the time. good luck. hope you are just haunted.