Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Flexitarianism [Bryan]

So, people ask once in a while how our "semi-vegetarianism" is going. If you are one of those people curious to know about the food the Warnicks are shoveling into their bodies, this post is for you. I am pleased to report we have successfully cut out much of the meat from our diet. We usually only eat meat on weekends and special occasions. I'm told that this sort of diet is called "flexitarian." So be it.

Some comments on our experience:

1. Alas, our new diet actually hasn't saved us any money. Buying more fresh fruits and vegetables ends up costing as much as the meat did.

2. It has made me really enjoy cooking. Before, it was easy to just let meat carry the meal. Cooking without meat has made me more adventurous and made cooking really exciting for the first time. Ellie will tell you that I've pretty much taken over in the kitchen.

3. It has opened up a whole new world of food to us. I've been making Dal and Falafals, and perfecting the art of Kung Pao Tofu. Some favorite recipes we've found online include: Artichoke Lasagna, Hot and Spicy Tofu, Linguine With Snow Peas, Cucumber, and Peanut Sauce

4. We don't feel any sense of loss. We feel like we are doing the planet good and that we are living better the precepts of our religion (albeit a minor precept). I think we feel a little better physically. You could say, I guess, that it has been a success.

No comments: