Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Report Card Blues, Part 2 [Ellie]

Short Version:
I overreacted.

(Since when is this news?)

Slightly Longer Version:
When I went to Nora's Parent-Teacher Conference (armed, I admit, with evidence of Nora's brilliance from home) I was quickly reassured that none of my documentation was necessary. The grades we had been shocked by were simply "placeholders"--put there if a) that subject hadn't really been studied, or b) the teacher didn't actually know how Nora was doing in that department (our surmise, not actually admitted). When I explained how the grading system made it sound to us like Nora was somehow behind where she should be, the teacher assured me that Nora was above average in most things and "far above" in some others, and that we would see better grades in the following quarters. The report card is designed to show progress, so the highest grades are not given out at all until the end of the year. While I don't agree with this as a grading policy, I am placated. So, either the report card meant nothing or Nora's teacher gets an A+ for telling me what I wanted to hear. :-)

4 comments:

xunil2 said...

Told you she's smart!

Anna said...

Yay! That makes more sense.

Jami said...

Bryan, I am thoroughly enjoying your blog. I just found it today (through Facebook) and for the second time in a week I'm feeling really disappointed that I don't get to enjoy my childhood friends as adults.

I especially like your post about Obama, the terrorist, fist-bumping the little tow-head.

Becky said...

I'm glad for you! :)
Nora really is fantastic!