Sunday, October 19, 2008

Wow, Just Wow [Bryan]

There is something special in the air.

Barry Obama just raised $150 million in September. That is more than double the biggest month any candidate for president has ever had. Now, it would be one thing if this was all from big money contributors -- it would be certainly less interesting, and perhaps even troubling if it came from only the ranks of the rich and powerful. But, the average donation was just $86 dollars. 3.1 million people have now contributed to the Obama campaign. This really is the people's campaign.

In other news, Colin Powell today endorsed Obama saying:
On the Obama side, I watched Mr. Obama and I watched him during this seven-week period. And he displayed a steadiness, an intellectual curiosity, a depth of knowledge and an approach to looking at problems like this and picking a vice president that, I think, is ready to be president on day one. And also, in not just jumping in and changing every day, but showing intellectual vigor. I think that he has a, a definitive way of doing business that would serve us well.....And I come to the conclusion that because of his ability to inspire, because of the inclusive nature of his campaign, because he is reaching out all across America, because of who he is and his rhetorical abilities--and we have to take that into account--as well as his substance--he has both style and substance--he has met the standard of being a successful president, being an exceptional president. I think he is a transformational figure. He is a new generation coming into the world--onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Senator Barack Obama.

The Chicago Tribune, a paper that has never endorsed a Democrat, just endorsed Obama, saying:
Many Americans say they're uneasy about Obama. He's pretty new to them.

We can provide some assurance. We have known Obama since he entered politics a dozen years ago. We have watched him, worked with him, argued with him as he rose from an effective state senator to an inspiring U.S. senator to the Democratic Party's nominee for president.
We have tremendous confidence in his intellectual rigor, his moral compass and his ability to make sound, thoughtful, careful decisions. He is ready.
The Houston Chronicle, which hasn't supported a Democrat since LBJ, just endorsed Obama saying:
Obama appears to possess the tools to confront our myriad and daunting problems. He's thoughtful and analytical. He has met his opponents' attacks with calm and reasoned responses. Viewers of the debates saw a poised, well-prepared plausible president with well-articulated positions on the bread-and-butter issues that poll after poll indicate are the true concerns of voters. While Arizona Sen. John McCain and his running mate Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin have struck an increasingly personal and negative tone in their speeches, Obama has continued to talk about issues of substance.
Christopher Buckley, son of William F. Buckley, the father of American conservatism endorsed Obama this week:

As for Senator Obama: He has exhibited throughout a “first-class temperament,” pace Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.’s famous comment about FDR....I’ve read Obama’s books, and they are first-rate. He is that rara avis, the politician who writes his own books. Imagine. He is also a lefty. I am not. I am a small-government conservative who clings tenaciously and old-fashionedly to the idea that one ought to have balanced budgets....But having a first-class temperament and a first-class intellect, President Obama will (I pray, secularly) surely understand that traditional left-politics aren’t going to get us out of this pit we’ve dug for ourselves.

Obama has in him—I think, despite his sometimes airy-fairy “We are the people we have been waiting for” silly rhetoric—the potential to be a good, perhaps even great leader. He is, it seems clear enough, what the historical moment seems to be calling for.

Obama had 100,000 people at the rally yesterday in St. Louis, pictured above.

Powell's endorsement:

6 comments:

Donnell Allan said...

What a hopeful post. I was especially touched by what Colin Powell had to say about Muslims. I have been so disturbed by the unchecked prejudice exhibited by Republicans of late.

I appreciate that you have stepped forward and shared your opinions throughout this campaign. You provided my first substantive introduction to Barak Obama and I have been touched as you have shared your experiences and beliefs. You have contributed to the newly energized hope I have for this country and the world.

Our family will be voting for Senator Obama, each one of us.

Thank you for your part in that.

Cassavaugh Family said...

WOW - I LOVE the Colin Powell endorsement because I have admired him over the years. I had wanted to see Colin Powell run for Pres awhile back. Although he said he will not campaign for Obama over these last two weeks, his simple and very well stated reasons for supporting him will speak volumes to many - I hope. Thanks for sharing. I had not heard of this endorsement.

Bryan and Ellie said...

I'm glad this was helpful. I'm sure some people have been annoyed with my Obama blogging. Some have probably even stopped reading the blog. That you find it worthwhile means a lot.

Bryan

Anonymous said...

I didnt read this, but I did watch the video because I like Powell, in fact, I have thought before that Powell would make a good president. Anyway, it was a good video, thanks for sharing.

chappo said...

Well Powell expressed the sentiments I have in this race and I will also be voting for Obama. Bryan, can you believe that?

Bryan and Ellie said...

You know, when I first saw Obama, I thought to myself, "Now there is a Democrat that even smart center-right people like David Chapman might vote for." This became one of my strongest reasons to support Obama through the primary. True story.

Amber--which way are you going? No Ron Paul running this year.