Saturday, October 11, 2008

What I Can't Say [Ellie]

Bryan wonders why I don’t blog more. He thinks if I enjoy writing (and I do) I should want to write all the time. Here’s my dilemma: so many things that I think about a lot I can’t write about. A big part of my church job, Relief Society President, is maintaining confidentiality. I can’t tell my husband, and I certainly can’t publish my observations in a forum where anybody could read them.

So Bryan’s challenge to me was to write about what that feels like. What it’s like to be full of things I can’t say.

It feels. . .heavy. Sometimes I come away from a conversation so filled with the burden of another person’s sadness that I can’t think of anything else. I go through the motions of my life—making dinner, caring for my children, chatting with friends, laying in bed at night—worrying over how to help that person or solve that problem. I become distracted and distant without meaning to. I wish I could conjure a quick fix, for both of us.

It feels. . .daunting. I list all the families I know with troubles in my prayers every night and I’m astonished by the sheer number of them. The idea that I have some stewardship over so many people’s well-being, and that they are not all being well, makes me feel overwhelmed and powerless. The idea that many more are suffering and we’re not helping them because we don’t know to help is painful. I look at my to-do list from my meetings and feel paralyzed by all the musts and ought-to’s I see there. I wish all problems could be solved by a casserole.

It feels. . .lonely. I’m learning so much about human nature—my own and others’—that I find fascinating. There’s so little of it I can share without revealing too much. I feel like I have to edit my words. Other times I feel things are expected of me that are beyond what I have to give. I know that I sometimes disappoint people who expect more of someone in my position. I wish I were more than just me.

It feels. . .frustrating. I think of the many different ways I have seen help offered and
refused. I think of people who choose to sink deeper into their own unhappiness, even when others around them are trying hard to pull them out of it. I think of service rendered, time and time again, with no visible effects. I wish I could say: Happiness is very simple. You just have to stop doing what you’re doing to make yourself unhappy and choose happiness instead!

But it also feels. . .encouraging. Seeing the women around me serving each other, usually without fanfare or recognition, helps me know that the burden isn’t mine alone. So many women are so generous with their time, their love, their resources. I’m amazed by women’s abilities to transcend life’s petty concerns and see into each other’s hearts.

And it is. . .fulfilling. I feel a sense of purpose in serving others. I feel myself having to grow to meet new challenges. I feel myself being drawn out of my own petty concerns and into a bigger, more meaningful life.

If I can’t say what exactly I’m doing, at least I can say that it’s worthwhile. And that’s not nothing.

8 comments:

Annie said...

Oh, it is such a heavy calling. You do such a great job. It is overwhelming to try and please and make all of the sister's happy-truly an impossible task. Seriously you are such an example to all your serve and we have been so blessed to have you watching over and praying for all of us. Thank you for all that you do.

Anonymous said...

"I wish all problems could be solved by a casserole."

Maybe not a casserole, but a chocolate pie seems to solved all my problems :)

Ellie, I am confident that you are a fantastic person for that calling.

Heather said...

Thank you for sharing. You are much admired for your service and dedication. You bless many, many lives.

The Teeples said...

You are doing it amazingly well Ellie! Remeber we are your little soldiers to help remove some of those little burdens off your shoulders. Please, if there is something I can do to be of help please let me know.

Know there are many who pray for you too.

Love ya

Becky said...

Ellie-

You describe so well what I imagine I would feel in your shoes. You are one of my favorite people, and I know that you're not in that calling by accident.
You'll be in my prayers!

-Becky

Nollie said...

What an eloquent post. Count me as one of the many who also admire you for your caring and conscientious service, as well as your wonderful personality and friendship. I wish I could help lighten your burden. If such an occasion arises, please let me know.

Unknown said...

Thanks for all you do Ellie. I can't even imagine how it must be...mostly just wanting so badly to help EVERYONE. PLEASE, please, please shoot me a little email if there's a little something I can do for someone.

Spencer and Anna said...

Hi Ellie! Thanks for your comments on my blog. I enjoyed reading your post. I guess enjoyed is a strange word to use...as if your post was meant to be funny. I guess what I meant is that it's nice to be able to understand you a little more and get a glimpse of what life is like for you everyday. I love that about this new found world of blogging. There are things that are so much easier to express through writing than through conversation. It's nice to feel a little more connected. I have no doubt that you have done a wonderful job thus far in your calling. I can tell by how well you cared for Grace and I while you were here after she was born. Love you!