Friday, July 18, 2008

Walkability [Bryan}

Here is a cool website: Walkscore. It tells you how "walkable" your neighborhood is. It pretty much captured what I dislike about the location where we live -- you can't walk anywhere! Being able to walk/bike places, I'm finding, captures nearly everything about what is important about a place to live. If you ain't got that, then your neighborhood sucks.

Our score was a pathetic 18/100 and even that is overestimating. The schools and markets that the program finds aren't really what they seem to be. And, even if they were, there are absolutely no sidewalks. Walking or biking is a risky endeavor in outer Columbus. I will never buy a house in such a neighborhood again!

What was your score? Does it seem accurate?

4 comments:

deek3m said...

I show a score of 6/100. Gotta love that. :-(

Next time I buy a house there will be a few very important things I look for that, regrettably, I didn't consider when buying this one.

1) Walkability
2) Access to bandwidth (UTOPIA/FTTH)
3) Air/water quality
4) Privacy (fences/window placement, street, ...)

Balancing these out can be a real challenge though...

-Derek
-Derek

wendy said...

See I knew there was a reason for living in such a small town. We have a score of 40/100. That's because we can walk to about everything the town has to offer. Unfortunately, that's not alot, leaving us to get to the next biggest city 70 miles away. So, still pretty car dependant.

chappo said...

Bryan, Very interesting web site. Our neighborhood got a whopping 28/100. I would have guessed about that. I certainly am a fan of walkable neighborhoods. If we ever move that will be high on the priority list.

Anonymous said...

I typed in my address but i got a neighborhood somewhere near Reno.

did i miss a step or something?