Thursday, May 05, 2011

Glad he's gone [Bryan]

I didn't feel any sense of elation at the death of Bin Laden, but I'm glad he is gone. I'm glad he's gone because he was one of history's greatest monsters, that much is obvious. Images of 9/11 are still burned into my memory. I still remember watching the pain in the face of a teenage girl, holding up a picture of her mother who was in World Trade Center, pleading for help.

But I'm also glad that we, as Americans, don't have Bin Laden as an excuse to do stupid things anymore. Here is hoping that, with his death, we return to some semblance of sanity. Too much has happened since 9/11, too much hysteria and darkness on our part, to be elelated. Hopefully the way Bin Laden changed us, the way he turned us into a fearful and cowering nation, ready to sweep under the carpet many of our most important principles, can be reversed over time. Here's hoping.

1 comment:

Monica said...

hear, hear...

Kyle