Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Finishing the basement as an existential project [Bryan]

We've decided to finally finish our basement. There are many practical reasons: We need the extra bedroom to accommodate our growing family; we need a nicer place for guests to stay when they come, we need a place to send the kids when they are annoying their mother, and so forth. I am going to be doing most of the work. The biggest reason for this is that I want to test myself. Call it a midlife crisis if you want. In my mind, though, real men build things. It has always been so and will always be so. I want to test myself again the world in a new kind of way, against wood, steel, and concrete. I also want to develop a side of me that has been dormant for awhile now, the side of me that loves the smell of freshly cut lumber and the feel of a circular saw whirling in my hands. I love it so. Heaven help me, I do love it so. Now, excuse me while I heroically descend to the basement.

3 comments:

Spencer and Anna said...

Ha, ha. :)

xunil2 said...

Well, you're good with garage doors! I also want to finish my basement but it will be a while.

Becky said...

I love it when real men build things! (Okay, mostly I love it when my man builds things for me)

We are starting to plan to finish our basement over the next year. I'm dreaming of a windfall that would let us subcontract out all the work I don't want us to do ourselves- You know...the framing, the electrical, the drywall, the mudding and taping, the carpet stretching... I guess that just leaves us with the insulating to do. Sweet!
No, really- best of luck as you get started. I'm with you on the small of fresh sawn lumber!

Ba