Monday, January 19, 2009

Ellie as Poet [Bryan]

I was rummaging through some old boxes yesterday and found some old papers from Ellie's undergraduate days, including from her creative writing classes. I was impressed. Here are two poems.

Aesthetic (1998)

we are trying
to find what is
which is not
to ignore what is
not but
to peel it
peel it away
peel it away and remove
feathers and veils and sequins
aprons and glasses and clothes
hair and skin and fat
muscles and tendons and organs
bones and cartilage and blood
and
Words
to pour out the
glass of mere existence
to find what is
still full
when everything is emptied
to keep eyeballs and
hold them in
our hands
to keep their big round
black spots
looking at us
to see something in
the Blackness


Poetry Is (1998)

Words that tingle
in the fingers,
Words that tickle -- a feather
in the throat;

Words that pulse red
in the chest,
Words that escape
from guarded thoughts;

Words that hollow
out sensations,
Words that live
in one world and another;

Words that track wet prints
on hard, dry sand,
Words that irrigate, flow
through clouded minds;

Words that seek assurance
in obscurity,
Words that blindly hit
on the mark;

Words that bloom beautiful
in fields of ugliness
Words that float answers
in oceans of questions;

Words that cry with the baby
in the night,
Words that hold the bitterness
of the failure of lifetimes;

Words that tell truth --
Poetry is.

5 comments:

Becky said...

Those are good. I was impressed with the imagery in Poetry Is- especially the"wet prints on hard,dry sand."
Did you get Ellie's permission?

Bryan and Ellie said...

No he did not get my permission. Id didn't even know he'd done it until I read it just now. Mixed feelings about having my old poetry forcibly published. . .[Ellie]

Becky said...

Yeah, if Nathan did that to me, I would be be tempted to throttle him. :) Having said that, I do think they are thought provoking, with great imagery.
I miss you!

Bryan and Ellie said...

I consider it my duty to expose Ellie to world for what she is: a highly talented, imaginative, and brilliant person.

Sorry Ellie!

Bryan

Becky said...

Ah, casting your pearls before swine!

(ok, ok, I don't actually think that most of the world, let alone your charming blog readers, are swine-I was just attempting to take a rare opportunity to tease you.)