Saturday, April 28, 2007

April happenings

In April, I went to one of the biggest academic conferences in the world. It was the meeting of the American Educational Research Association. The paid registration at g conference makes one feel tiny and insignificant. Nothing makes one's ideas feel less important than 18,000 other people also simultaneously sharing their ideas. Everyone is talking, but no one is listening. At least that is how it feels.

Other April news includes:

Andrew now says at least five words: out, daddy, birds, hat, and jelly. There may be others, but we have yet to translate them appropriately.

Ellie's first month as RS Pres went well. People have said some very nice things to her and offered their support -- this has helped her immensely. She will probably have to help plan her first funeral soon. She also had an emergency where she was desperately trying to track down home teachers. I'll let her tell about that experience, though, if she wants.

Nora and Ellie have taken to reading the Chronicles of Narnia together. Nora loves C.S. Lewis. I wasn't sure she was ready for extended narratives, but I guess she is.

We made our first trip of the year to the Columbus Zoo last weekend. Andrew loved the aquarium, which allowed him to get really close to some big first. My favorite part of the Zoo is visiting the wierd Okapi. We bought a membership, so I guess me and the Okapi will become good friends.

Speaking of Columbus, we recently found a beautiful area about 15 mintues away. You
can check it out here. I've found a new place to do my work! (A great thing about my job is that I can "work" almost anywere -- I'll I need is a book and a pencil). We took Nora on a hike down by the river and she was so excited she fell in.

I guess that will have to be all for now.

Bryan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that looks like a great place to do your work. very pretty.