Saturday, March 24, 2007

March Madness

Well, the month of March is now almost over. March has always been one of my favorite months. I remember racing home from school to watch the early rounds of the NCAA tournament, or even watching some games in class at Bonneville Jr High. It is also the first month of Spring, and usually there are at least a few nice days -- always a welcome relief after winter. March is now special because it is the month of Nora's birthday and my wedding anniversary.

Nora turned four on March 15. The day was filled with food and activities. We decided we are only going to have "friend" birthday parties every other year. This year, it was just a family party and Nora was not happy about it. Last year, she had a princess tea party where all her friends dressed up in their princess dresses. This year was not merely so fun. I think she got enough toys and treats to make her happy. It was also great to be able to video conference with grandparents. It was almost like having them there. Nora has turned into a wonderful little girl. She is always concerned about others, helpful, and eager to make friends. She must get her sociality from her mother!

Ellie and I also celebrated our ninth wedding anniversary. We didn't do too much. We went out to dinner at Red Lobster since I've been hankering for some coconut shrimp lately. I gave Ellie flowers and she gave me Barry Obama's book. I can't believe I've almost been married ten years now. This year's celebration was quiet, to be sure, but next year we have set the goal of celebrating our anniversary in Paris. Wish us luck!

In other news, I went to a conference in Atlanta last week. I had a fairly good time, I suppose. It was the Philosophy of Education Society conference and I read a paper entitled "William James, Meaning, and Educational Significance of Film." I turned William James into a film theorist and had him analyze the film "A River Runs Through It." I won't bore you with the details, but I thought it was a good paper. The bad part of the conference was the constant mingling that is expected -- I'm not very good at that. Plus, I don't think my bowtie lends itself to conversation. A bowtie says many things, but it does not say "I'm ready to party."

Bryan

No comments: